Skip to main content

Families who have both parents working require help with their children while they are at work.

They need an au pair to fetch their children from school, take them to extra-mural activities after school, then take them home and help with homework until their parents arrive back home.

Au pairs are generally aged between 18-30 years old, enjoy working with and looking after children, have a valid driving licence, have a good education and no criminal record.

You need to have had a lot of experience in looking after children as parents will have to trust you to take care of their children.

You can achieve this by babysitting family or neighbours’ children or by working in a child care centre and then obtain references from the parents of children you have looked after.

Take a first-aid course so that you have a basic knowledge of how to treat cuts and bruises, and especially learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) skills in the case of a possible drowning or choking: always know the emergency phone number for medical help.

Once you have the relevant experience, you can advertise within your community.

Use your creativity to find activities that allow you to interact with the children in play.

Learn how to discipline children by responding to their misbehaviour as an adult, not as a parent: keep in mind that you are the adult and they are a child.

Physical punishment and arguing are unacceptable at all times: it is up to the parents to set the rules and expectations for their children.

You will be ‘the eyes and ears’ for the parents, so ensure that you communicate honestly with them at all times.



  • Start-up Capital: Nil
  • Space required: Nil – you would work at the child’s home
  • Equipment: Nil
  • Specific skills: Certification in child-care


Free online courses & information